Thursday, February 26, 2009

A Little bit of pain for the game.

News today? Well I'm a little worried about my knees, I re-injured the buggers in an accident the other day totally unrelated to training and I've been in slight discomfort since, setting me back a little when trying to train recently. I'm not too concerned though, as my knees have always been a bitch when it comes to sports, mostly due to unfortunate anatomy making my knees point inwards a bit and that being the cause of more unnecessary stress and accidental injury than normal. I think I'll see a physician about it all soon though.

On with the usual. Open mat days and after hours of class are becoming an essential contribution to my training, with the help of the guys in a casual yet motivated environment I can work on whatever I ask to learn and they're more than enthused to pick up the focus pads or start a roll and talk me through. Bruce most notably, has greatly assisted me with my striking. Coaching me with excellent feedback for each and every swing I take. I'm very grateful for the help. Antonio who not only delivers me safely to most sessions and back just happens to be one of the only students of almost equivalent weight to me and so we happen to end up rolling quite often. Unlike me though his weight is almost entirely muscle, which he uses to his advantage, but he also has months of training over me and I'm already resigned to being a complete novice at the moment. Each time I wrestle though, I understand more and more about controlling my movements and reading my opponents, then how to connect and apply what basics I've learnt to the situation at hand. I'm still a bit clumsy, but these things take time and I'm willing to put in the effort. Especially with my friends supporting me.

Reginald is still trying to run the Women's Self Defence and Fitness classes, even though we're low on numbers and I'm only free to get to one of the classes a week for the time being. I admire his outlook on things though. I also look forward to kicking a guy wearing his home made crotch guard a few times.

My fashion has been slightly altered for my new beginning in the sport, out of my 12 body piercings I've opted to remove 6 of the most at risk; two from my right earlobe, one from my left, my septum, my labret and my navel. It's a little bit of a sacrifice for a lot more fun had not worrying about that extra risk of hurting myself or someone else with my pokey metal bits. All of these can be replaced at will, so I won't miss them too dearly.

I'm noticing a change in my metabolism too, it's only been a short period of training and I've already lost about 2 kilos and started eating more. Now for those who know me, that's saying something, as I'm already a bit of a glutton. That said at 175 cm's and 60 kilos, I also can't really afford to be losing weight, rather I'd actually like to increase muscle, which weighs more. I'll have to wait it out though, fat's gonna burn whatever I do.

Well, for what it's worth, I'm really enjoying this all so far, injuries are a given in any sport and I'll take them in my stride just like any challenge.

<3 Cc

1 comment:

  1. (12:43:51 AM) The Black Guy: muscle, which he uses to his advantage,
    (12:43:51 AM) The Black Guy: lol
    (12:43:55 AM) The Black Guy: no I don't
    (12:44:28 AM) The Black Guy: except against bro
    (12:44:39 AM) Thorns: sif
    (12:44:43 AM) The Black Guy: when he started getting pissed off against my use of the gi
    (12:44:51 AM) Thorns: lol
    (12:45:06 AM) The Black Guy: You're sloppy with your balance
    (12:45:17 AM) The Black Guy: so I just use what I spot to tumble you
    (12:45:29 AM) Thorns: yes yes
    (12:46:42 AM) The Black Guy: =[.
    (12:48:29 AM) The Black Guy: I need dinner

    ReplyDelete